Sunday, November 15, 2009

90/10 Rule Revisited

Okay folks, let's recap the weekend! My 90/10 rule becomes important here.

So, as I said on Friday, I thought Friday night was going to be my cheat meal but it actually fit well into my calories! Since there are no off-limit foods for me, a cheat meal for me is one that I know is going to go way over my calorie limit for the day. Yes, I allow myself one a week. (During bad weeks there are two. Don't judge me.) No, this doesn't trip me up in any way. I eat well all day until that meal, and then I'm right back on course the next day. I've been losing an average of 2-3 pounds per week doing this, so I see no reason to change it now. Maybe I'll have to in the future, but for now I feel good about it.

What do I feel is over my calorie limit? Well, if I consume more than 1500 calories a day I consider it a bad day. I almost always stay between 1300-1400, occasionally having a little more or a little less. But the 1500-calorie mark is pretty much my limit.

So anyway...Friday was NOT a cheat meal. Yesterday I had a crazy busy day, and by the time dinner rolled around I'd only had about 700 calories! Hubs and I went out for dinner, but I ordered an egg white omelette with peppers, onions, and mushrooms (80 calories), bacon (150 calories), and wheat toast (just one slice, about 100 calories.) So yesterday was a success!

Today was my cheat meal, and it was great. :D This morning I had yogurt and fruit for breakfast, one of my yummy wraps for lunch (mentioned here), and that was it. Hubs and I then went to Barnes and Noble where I had about 3 bites of his red velvet cupcake, which was SO worth the calories! Yum.

For dinner we went to Texas Roadhouse. It's not too difficult to eat healthy there, but sometimes I don't feel like it! But I still made some good choices. I had about 6 ounces of pork loin, a side salad with Romaine, tomatoes, and egg (no cheese or croutons, fork dipped in Thousand Island dressing on the side, maybe 4 times total...I used like 1/4 of an ounce), and French fries. I also shared a Baby Blossom with Hubs, which is like a mini fried onion thing. Healthy? No. Do I feel bad? Definitely not. Why? Because it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. If I get back on track tomorrow, which I will, there won't be any problem come weigh-in day. So I'm not sweating it at all, quite frankly, and that's really liberating.

But here's the thing with the 90/10 rule. If you're going to use it, you need to be HONEST with yourself. If you're going over your calories every day by adding in a "cheat" item, then that's not 10% of the time. For me, 10% is once or twice a week. Any more than that and it's no longer 10%, and if the scale shows it then I can't be pissed. There's no one to be angry with but myself when I don't lose or when I gain. But on the flip side, that also means that this awesome progress is no one else's victory but mine. I did all of this work. I am nurturing my body and being kind to it. No one else is putting forth that effort for me, so I'm the only one who gets the credit for it!

In exercise news, I'm still not carving specific time out in my day for it. You know how I feel about exercise. I've been telling Hubs and my sister that if I only had a treadmill, I'd be so much more inclined to exercise! We have a really nice elliptical...I've used it a few times, but I just don't care for the elliptical. Never did, either. Ask my sister - when we used to go to the gym together I could only get on it for like 10 minutes before hating it. I could happily run/walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes though. So anyway, Hubs told me last week that we're going to get a treadmill! I'm so stoked, I can't wait. :D Hubs is so awesome.

On the subject of Hubs being awesome, I asked him on Friday if I could get a boob lift. When you're a 38 DD and lose 60 pounds, things...droop a little. He said, "You can do whatever you want to them, just don't make them smaller." ;) Men. But anyway, that's so great for me! When I hit my goal, maybe that's just what I'll do.

Okay, enough writing for tonight. This week I promise to address the subjects I touched on last week (vegetables, lies, and whatever else I'm forgetting about.)

Good luck this week! :D

No comments: