Monday, November 9, 2009


Remember my talk about the 90/10 thing? I really believe in that. My weight loss is proof for me that if I eat supremely well 90% of the time, I can be a bit looser the other 10% of the time.

I know that not everyone feels that way. I think it either works for you or it doesn't. If incorporating Forbidden Foods into your diet triggers you to relapse, then it's safe to say you can't do it. But if you are able to have control even after the 10% of the time is over, I think it can be very useful. Because like you always hear, "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle." And isn't that true? And hey, I'll admit that sometimes it's harder for me when I eat the Forbidden Foods...I find myself craving them more and more, and that just makes things more challenging for me. I never go out of control or, God forbid, binge, but it does get tougher. But I know that, and sometimes I accept the challenge because I really want something that's not normally on the menu for me.

I did pretty well today. Coffee with Splenda and organic half and half for my morning commute and a non-fat peach Greek yogurt for breakfast mid-morning; an Iced Pumpkin Pie Clif bar for lunch (because I was in my car) with a Light Babybel cheese and 14 baby carrots. Not bad, right? Pretty super. :)

Then I came home and saw THE CHIPS. Hubs bought these INCREDIBLY good sour cream and onion chips on Sunday morning, and I made the mistake of smelling them...LOL For the longest time I thought that I was only a sugar-craver, but one thing I learned when I started eating healthy was that I. CRAVE. SALT. Salt calls to me like a hooker calls to a man in the midst of a 20-year sex drought. I know I shouldn't be doing it, but damn...they're just so good. And it's weird, because I can absolutely have a piece of chocolate and not have another. But salty stuff? Just...NO.

So what did I do? Oh, I came home and ate the rest of the bag. LOL There were about 3 servings in there, so I scarfed down a cool 450 calories doing that, not to mention a disgusting amount of sodium. And you know what? I was mad at myself, and I still am. There's definitely something to be said for cutting yourself a little slack if you want to have something fabulous at a restaurant or for special occasions, but honestly...there's nothing fabulous about gross, preservative-filled chips! They had MSG in them, for crying out loud! LOL But what I'm NOT going to do is let that allow me to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day. I took responsibility (didn't eat them all and then pretend it didn't happen since no one saw) and added them to my total calorie count using the Lose It! app on my iTouch. Added to the other things I ate today, plus dinner which will be Amy's Tamale Verde (AMAZING...Hubs and I are huge fans), that takes me to 1303 calories for the day. Not terrible!!! However, I have to be honest with myself and anticipate...POSSIBLY...a VitaMuffin cranberry nut muffin after dinner for 100 calories. I am going to try to go without it, but if it calls to me I may give in. I don't want to eat some yucky crap at 11 PM when I can't get to sleep because I'm still thinking about that goddamn muffin. But that still puts me at only 1403 calories for the day, and there's nothing wrong with that!

You'll notice I don't exercise. LOL Yes, I've noticed that too. It's not because I'm incapable...Hubs and I summit mountains, for Christ's's because I just don't feel like it. It's as simple as that, really. I get home from work and I don't feel like it. I wake up at 4:30 AM and don't feel like waking up at 4 AM to get a workout in. It is what it is, and I've learned to accept it for now. Fortunately I don't have a sedentary lifestyle overall, so I've been okay.

Last thought: I'm thinking of changing my official weigh-in day from Tuesday to Friday. Why? Because given how huge my drops are on Fridays, I think I have a falsely high weight on Tuesday most likely secondary to water retention. When I lose 3 pounds from Tuesday to Friday, I know it's probably not "real" weight loss; similarly, if I gain 3 pounds from Friday to Tuesday, I know that I didn't eat an excess of 10,500 calories over the weekend to equal 3 pounds of "real" weight gain. Given all that weird water fluctuation, I think Friday weigh-ins might be more accurate.

Thoughts on this?

Weigh-in tomorrow! Cheers!

No comments: