Saturday, December 19, 2009

Again?

Why am I posting like a lunatic today? Because it's a Saturday, and Hubs and I are snowed in. Hooray for blizzard-like conditions!

I did indeed have my delicious sandwich for lunch. Holy wow, why didn't I think of that sooner? I can thank Kath for that idea. I can also thank her for the idea to roast a butternut squash! (No, I didn't think of it sooner myself. I don't know why...don't ask.)

Here's the thing. Hubs is generally kind of hateful about vegetables. I was never a big fan of them either, but I'm learning to like them more and to fit them in my diet whether I want them or not. I've been working my way through Kath's blog from her first post ever and kept reading all this stuff about butternut squash being so good. I vaguely remembered Hubs and I having it as a side at a restaurant once, and I thought I remembered it being sweet. So it seemed to me that Hubs would at least give it a go if I roasted one with a little whipped butter and brown sugar.

I had no idea what I was doing, of course. The squash, after I halved it, was very unstable. That's because I cut it all crooked. But I tried to kind of shave it down so that it would set nicely face-down on the baking sheet. LOL I put about a half inch of water in the baking sheet and just stuck it in the oven for 45 minutes at 400*. Then I stuck some butter and brown sugar in the little butternut cave and roasted face-up (obviously) for 5 more minutes.

Can I just tell you something?

It was WICKED good. Hubs scraped that little squash down to its nothings trying to get every little bit out of there. For 200 calories I can't think of a better snack! Loved it.

Dinner was steel cut oats with 1/2 banana, 1 Tbsp. chocolate chips, and 1 Tbsp. almond butter for me. Hubs had his with some brown sugar. He never had steel cut oats before...he gets funny about so-called "weird" foods. But when I explained to him that his instant oatmeal was just processed-numerous-times oats, he was willing to try the steel cut. The first thing he said was, "Did you put butter in here? It's really good."

Exactly, Hubs. Exactly. And there was no butter, dear.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: